New York, New York.. so good they named it twice! We had a wonderful time in the Big Apple and we want to share how we spent our 3 days there. Let me tell you though, 3 days just didn’t seem like enough and I feel like we only touched the tip of the iceberg so we will have to return one day to explore some more. If you’re going to New York, I suggest going with some sort of plan – even if it is just a rough idea – as it is such a big place and there is so much to do and see. The last thing you want is to run out of time and be going home not having done the things you had wanted to. Without further ado, here is my suggested itinierary..
- Central Park – Rent a bike ($15 for an hour) or hop on a Rickshaw and see the sites in this vast green space, you’ll forget you’re in the city! Central Park is so big and theres so much to see that getting around by bike is by far the most efficient way to do it. Some spots in Central Park I’d recommend seeing are, The Bethesda Fountain, Strawberry Fields, Cherry Hill and the Bow Bridge.
- Times Square – It’s so overwhelming but you’ve got to see it, especially at night when its all lit up!
- Stardust Diner – Stardust is situated on Broadway and only one block away from Times Square. With guaranteed queues round the corner you will have to spare a short wait but once your table is ready you’ll be faced with nonstop entertainment in the form of live singing from upcoming Broadway hopefuls. Couple this with a few beverages and a burger and you’ve got a lively start to your evening.
- Visit Grand Central Station – The iconic station that we all have to see whilst visiting the city. Even better, why not also experience hop on a train or experience New York’s subway system?
- Go to a Broadway show OR go and see some live sports. We went to a Yankees vs Red Sox game and loved it!
- Walk the High Line – An old railway line that has been renovated into a walkway with interesting pieces of modern art scattered along the way. There’s lots to take in and some great views as well.
- Chelsea Markets – When you’re feeling peckish take a stroll through Chelsea Markets, which is basically a big indoor food market. I recommend Num Pang Sandwich Shop where we had delicious coconut tiger shrimp super grain bowls. Prices are far better than the standard city restaurant and food choice is unbeatable.
- Flat Iron Building – Marvel at the architecture and snap a picture at the flat iron building.
- Grab something to eat at Madison Sq. Eats – This is right across from the Flat Iron building, an outdoor food market full of diverse flavours from the city’s best restaurants. Choose from the likes of Korean BBQ, Mexican street food, lobster rolls and Ethiopian food.
- Spend some time (and money) shopping in the famous shopper’s paradise – 5th Avenue.
- Ground Zero – Although very sad, the museum is fascinating and it pays a very fitting tribute to 9/11. This is a must see in my opinion. Standard entry is $24.
- Staten Island Ferry – For the best views of the Statue of Liberty and for free!
- Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Top of the Rock – For amazing views over Manhattan that will take your breath away. I recommend going up for sunset but book your tickets on the website in advance to avoid queues. Standard tickets cost $37.
- Whilst you’re in the area why not pay a visit to Chinatown and Little Italy for some authentic street food or a lovely fresh pasta dish/pizza? Otherwise Madison Square Gardens hosts a variety of food vendors, live music and a lively in-and-outdoor bar setting – perfect for finishing off a busy day.
And that’s how you spend 3 days in NYC!
Find this useful? Pin it!